Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Good-bye to the Best Dog Ever


Max the Puppy
















Max the old man

Max the Dog, the best dog on earth, left the planet on June 29th. He had to be put to sleep. He was very sick, in pain and wasn't breathing well. Though we know that he is in a better place, our hearts are broken.


Max has been an important member of our family for over 12 years. We can barely imagine our life without him - the house is already so very empty. Talk about unconditional love - Max didn't care if we were tired and cranky, if we smelled bad (he kinda liked that), he could always be counted on to eat anything that fell on the floor and was even willing to clean our plate if we let him (who needs a dishwasher?) Max was a great guard dog - he kept us safe from the evil mailman, the meter-reader and any neighbor rude enough to walk down the sidewalk or ride a bike in our street.


I will miss him waking me up at the oddest hours to go outside and "water the lawn". I'll miss the earnest greetings that I got every time I came home, as if he hadn't seen me for years and was delighted that I came back. I will miss his fuzzy face and the mounds of hair he shed and left as a present for me daily. I'll miss the understanding looks he gave me whenever we discussed the matters of the universe (or was he waiting for me to share a morsel of food...hmmm?) Mostly I'll miss the dog who was just glad that I was around.


No comments: